For Your Information: 10/18/2013
lost money to Green Millionaire, an online scam whose “free” book explained how to power cars and homes at no cost, and then billed them for an online magazine they never ordered.
More than $1.9 million is being returned to consumers, about 54 percent of consumers’ total estimated loss. Each person will receive an average amount of about $33.88, based upon the amount of individual loss divided pro-rata. Those who receive the checks from the FTC’s refund administrator should cash them within 60 days of the mailing date. The FTC never requires consumers to pay money or to provide information before refund checks can be cashed. Those with questions should call the refund administrator, Epiq Systems, Inc., at 1-877-866-6385, or visit www.FTC.gov/refunds for more general information.
The Federal Trade Commission works for consumers to prevent fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices and to provide information to help spot, stop, and avoid them. To file a complaint in English or Spanish, visit the FTC’s online Complaint Assistant or call 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357). The FTC enters complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to more than 2,000 civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad. The FTC’s website provides free information on a variety of consumer topics. Like the FTC on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and subscribe to press releases for the latest FTC news and resources.
- MEDIA CONTACT:
- Office of Public Affairs
Federal Trade Commission, Plaintiff, v. Green Millionaire, LLC, Syndero, Inc., Scott Waltz, and Nigel Williams, Defendants
(United States District Court for the District of Maryland)
Case No. 1:12-cv-01102-BEL
FTC File Nos. 1023204 and X110055
October 18, 2013
- News Release: FTC Returns Almost $2 Million to Consumers Harmed by “Free Gas for Life” Scam
April 27, 2012
- Order Entering Stipulated Permanent Injunction Against Green Millionaire, LLC; Syndero, Inc.; Scott Waltz; and Nigel Williams [Entered by the Court] [PDF – 36 pages]
April 16, 2012
- Complaint for Permanent Injunction and Other Equitable Relief
- (Proposed) Order Entering Stipulated Permanent Injunction Against Green Millionaire, LLC, Syndero, Inc., Scott Waltz, and Nigel Williams
- News Release
- FTC Returns Almost $2 Million to Consumers Harmed by ‘Free Gas for Life’ Scam (ftc.gov)
- How-to File a Complaint With The FTC (ethanvanderbuilt.com)
- FTC returns money from online operation promising free gas (networkworld.com)
- FTC Sends Refunds to Consumers Harmed by Robocallers Who Claimed to Reduce Credit Card Interest Rates (ftc.gov)