scamFRAUDalert see it appropriate to issue this ALERT as Mortgage Relief Advacates, LLC claim to be loan modification specialists and are asking for upfront fees in the range of $2,500. It appears like the company operates out of two locations under the names of Foreclosure Consultants and The MRA Group.
California Law Cal. Civ. Code § 2944.7(a) (2009), Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code § 10085.6(a) (2009 expressly prohibits the collection of fees before service is completed.
Foreclosure Consultants/ Price and Associates Consulting Group
3922 Tweedy Blvd.
South Gate, CA 90280
The MRA Group
18000 Studabaker Rd. Suite 700
Cerritos, CA 90703
Tel: 888- 526-3527
Fax: 866- 611- 0718
Federal Trade Commission Prohibits False claims
The MARS Rule prohibits mortgage relief companies from making any false or misleading claims about their services, including claims about:
- the likelihood of consumers getting the results they seek;
- the company’s affiliation with government or private entities;
- the consumer’s payment and other mortgage obligations;
- the company’s refund and cancellation policies;
- whether the company has performed the services it promised;
- whether the company will provide legal representation to consumers;
- the availability or cost of any alternative to for-profit mortgage assistance relief services;
- the amount of money a consumer will save by using their services; or
- the cost of the services.
In addition, the rule bars mortgage relief companies from telling consumers to stop communicating with their lenders or servicers. Companies also must have reliable evidence to back up any claims they make about the benefits, performance, or effectiveness of the services they provide.