The Purpose of this post is to ALERT you that the job you are about to apply for or may have applied For or is CONSIDERING APPLYING FOR is FRAUDULENT. These job postings are an attempt to lure you into cashing counterfeit checks and have you wire funds via Western Union or MoneyGram. Essentially You Become A Money or RePackage Mule.
Understanding The Cyber Theft Ring Money Mule Explained
Washingtonpost.com by Brian Kerbs
Interview With A Money Mule
Scammers reinvent themselves. Today, these hard core career criminals have become affiliate marketers or just plain outright scammers
These affiliate scammers are posting bogus ads promising (nonexistent!) employment, paid research trials, or other compensation, but then notifying repliers that they’ll need to jump through a hoop first, directing job seekers to a host of deplorable tactics as listed below:
- To purchase prepaid cards which are then used to send money [Investigative Reporter Brian Kerbs Report
- background checking services
- credit checking or reporting sites
- sites where you are instructed to enter your resume or other personal information
- sites where you are asked to sign up for a “free” trial offer
- sites offering educational training or career education
- sites offering a “system” for making money
- survey or focus group sites
- sites designed to deliver malware or misuse your identifying information
all in hopes of earning affiliate marketing commissions or otherwise profiting at the expense of persons seeking employment.
There are lots of variations on these scams, but each generally involves dangling (nonexistent!) compensation, easy lazy employment opportunity, sit at home and do nothing i.e. work at home and then directing you to a website where you are asked to sign up for something, use your credit card, or input personal information such as your email address, open a bank account, become a secret shopper, or an award winnings which targets the elderly, worse of all a program that promises you riches……
One need to exercise good judgment when they encounter one of these bogus job opportunity. These scammers are pros…. professionals with army of Attorneys and accomplices i.e. helpers. They do not operate alone. Getting involve or associated with these criminals is getting yourself into a whole lots of headaches. They prey on your weakness of being unemployed and desperate. They are out there in search of vulnerable individuals.
What we at scamFRAUDalert have observed over the years is that the less education one has, the more likely they will get involve with these CROOKS – scammers. BE VILIGANT FOLKS, CAREFUL ONLINE…….
Disclaimer: The original source is from craigslist.org with some modifications based on years of scamFRAUDalert researched and warning job seekers against bogus job postings online.
PLEASE NOTE THAT not all affiliate marketers are scammers.
Job Opening (Los Angeles, CA)
Date: 2012-06-04, 8:01AM PDT
Reply to: firstname.lastname@example.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Contact me for more information
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Compensation: 250
- This is a part-time job.
- OK to highlight this job opening for persons with disabilities
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don’t contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.